Thursday, March 5, 2009

Marathon read...




I put aside Dan Simmon's "The Drood" to read Jodi Picoult's "Handle With Care." It just came out on the 3rd and I had to work that day so I didn't get to read much of it until yesterday and I just finished it this morning. Shades of "My Sister's Keeper." Change the disease but the story was there. It was a great read but I was a little disappointed after "Change of Heart." Once again, I couldn't decide if I hated the parents in this book or not. Young Willow O'Keefe is born with brittle bone syndrome. Until recently, many children did not survive this disease. Advances in medicine had made it possible for a longer survival rates. If you knew you were going to have a child with this devastating disease, would you continue with the pregnancy? If you're the healthy sibling how do you deal with the younger unhealthy child who gets all the attention? Once again, I need someone to read this so I can discuss it with them! That's the one thing about Picoult........she leaves you wanting more and they make for great book club books. I don't think I'm ready to pick up "The Drood" yet. Might have to find something else for now.

No comments: