Monday, November 9, 2009

Blaaaaablaaaaablaaaa




I finished "Enemy Women" by Paulette Jiles. Very interesting novel about the civil war and the Union army imprisoning women who they suspected of having dealings with the South. Took place in Missouri where half the state was for the south and the rest, the north. One such prisoner was Adair Colley and she was imprisoned after her father was taken by a vigilante Union group, beaten and hauled away while their house was set fire and all of value stolen. Adair and her sisters headed north to find their father and instead were separated when Adair was put in prison. She was friended by a Union Major and while he went south to fight in the final stages of the war she used the money he left with her to bribe her way out of prison and head back home. A great story of life during and after the war.

I've been informed at work that I have to have my hours cut because I've had too many for too long as a part time worker. This is the reward for not ever calling out sick; taking shifts that are 10-12 hours long when others don't show up; and working wherever they need me standing on my poor feet that have heel spurs now in both of them. Great reward for all I've done. I was even told that if I wanted to get another job that they would work around my schedule. What a kick in the teeth. Right at the holidays when every penny is needed, they pull this stuff. ##$^^$@#&&!!

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Bastards. They use and abuse you in retail!