Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fun new series of books

James Patterson has written the first of probably many for the young. I enjoy his Maximum Ride series so I thought I would check out "Witch & Wizard." It's an interesting concept. A young brother and sister are part of a society that has been taken over by a New Order and they are suspected of being a witch and wizard. Until pressed into action they did not realize that they had these powers. Suddenly they are taken prisoners by the New Order and are to be executed. With their new powers manage to escape and suddenly are in charge of rescuing all the children that have been taken captive. Fun read and we'll see how Patterson and his co-author handle this new series.

Snow fell yesterday and covered us with about 15-16 inches of the white stuff. I missed a full day of work and waited nervously for hubby to make it home. I was due in to work today at 10 and our road wasn't plowed and our driveway was a mess. Hubby didn't want me to go but I felt I needed to try. I got stuck in a snow drift up to my fenders and after struggling for about 10 minutes with my 4 wheel drive, I finally managed to get it lose and backed about a 1/4 of a mile back to the house. At the entrance to the drive I found a young guy with a plow and I asked him if he'd plow our drive for $50 and he seemed thrilled. About that time a plow from the township went through and opened the road that I had just been stuck in. I made it to work and was only 8 minutes late. Now I'm sitting here well after closing time waiting for an electrican to come and fix a light fixture in the vault which could be a potential fire hazard. Due to company policy, we can't have an unequal amount of people of the opposite sex in the store so being the only parttimer with hours available, I was chosen to wait with the two department heads for the electrician whose arrival time is after 9. Of course, then he has to fix the light and it being a Sunday and probably double time, he could take all night to do the repair. In the meantime the roads are probably refreezing and I'll be crawling home. Hopefully I'll make up for some of the hours I lost yesterday.

Time is getting short and I've still got gifts to buy and food to get before Christmas. Well, really I need the food before Tuesday when my stepson and daughter-in-law show up. First of the big meals will be cooked that evening and then again on Friday. At least I have Tuesday and Wednesday off to prepare for Friday.

No comments: