Saturday, October 16, 2010

chalk another one up

Finished Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" today. I saw the movie many years ago and have been wanting to read the book for a long time. Now, thanks to iPhone and my boring job, I've accomplished my goal. I own the book but iPhone made it easier to read at my desk. I didn't remember much about the movie when I saw it other than the hidden secret in the attic. The book takes you through many years of Jane's life as an orphan that was thrust on an unwilling guardian and her life was made miserable. She was eventually sent to a charitable school for orphans and there obtained an education and taught for a while. She left there to be a governess and that's when the real story began. She was to marry the lord of the manor when on her wedding day it was disclosed to her that her groom to be was still married. That wife was insane and kept locked in an attic ceil. Jane runs away and is taken in by a family who care for her and make her a school teacher in the local school. Unbeknownst to her, or them, these are cousins of hers. A year passes and Jane has no word from anyone as to what has happened to her former "master." She decides it's time to go back and see. Have to leave you hanging at this point. Can't ruin the story for those that haven't read the book or seen the movie.

No comments: